Soil Samples are Now Subject to a Peak Season Soil Sample Fee
The North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (NCDA&CS) Agronomic Division levies a fee on soil samples submitted during its peak season: December through March. Peak season samples are charged a $4 fee per box. Samples submitted the rest of the year (April through November) are still processed for free.
There are several ways to pay.
- You can go to NCDA website to enter your soil sample information and make payment online before you submit your soil samples. To do this:
- Go to the NCDA website at http://www.ncagr.gov/agronomi/pals/
- Select ‘Utilities’ from the top tool bar
- Select ‘Submit Soil Sample Information’
- You will need to create an account if you don’t already have one
- Go to your email to click on the ‘confirm account link’
- Then enter your soil sample information
- Make payment by credit or debit card online
- Print form and send it in with your soil samples
- If you are a homeowner with 5 soil samples or fewer, you can submit your samples and wait for the NCDA to invoice you.
- Once your samples are processed and posted to the NCDA website, you can click on the ‘Pay Now’ button next to your soil sample. You can then pay online with a credit or debit card and your sample results will be released.
We recommend sampling every 2-3 years in the coastal plain. Soil sample turn-around time at the lab is now 6-8 weeks. Please realize that samples may sit at the county office up to a week prior to shipment. The NCDA no longer mails out hardcopies of soil sample reports. You will receive a notification to your email when the report is available online. You can also search for your report online http://www.ncagr.gov/agronomi/pals/.